The EVOLUTIONS After School Program is FREE and serves approximately 125 New Haven and West Haven high school students each year. We are looking for students with an interest in science who are serious about school and who are considering going to college. Applications for the 2014-15 school year will be accepted from now until September 15. The FINAL DEADLINE for all application materials is September 15, 2014 at 11:59pm. Late applications will not be accepted.
To submit an application, go to:
To submit a teacher reference, send this link to your teacher:
To request a paper application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The application process is competitive.We ask for answers to a series of essay questions, a list of your classes and grades, and a recommendation letter from a teacher. Applications are reviewed based on three criteria: enthusiasm, dedication, and need.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to have good grades in science to be accepted into the EVOLUTIONS After School Program?
- Grades are not factored into our decision, but we do ask you to share your grades so that we understand some of your strengths and weaknesses.You don't need to excel in science, but you should have some interest.
What does it cost to be part of the EVOLUTIONS After School Program?
- Nothing! Participation is free thanks to our sponsors: Yale University, The National Science Foundation, The Institute for Museum and Library Services, The New Haven Community Foundation, Peter and Carmen Lucia Buck Foundation, Inc., and The Bay and Paul Foundations.
How long can I be in the EVOLUTIONS After School Program?
- It is our goal to recruit students as 9th or 10th graders and to retain them through graduation.
When does the EVOLUTIONS After School Program start? How long does it run?
- EVO typically starts in early October and runs through mid-May. Students have the option of being involved in EVO year round, however, through Internships and the SciCORPS Museum Interpreter Program, which are both part of EVO and run in tandem with the after school program component. During the school year, EVO classes meet every week, Sci.CORPS runs every weekend, and we hold monthly events.Meetings run from 3:30 to 5:30pm though most students come to the Museum immediately after school. If accepted, you will be assigned to a class day that best aligns with your schedule.
How do I get to the Peabody Museum?
- The Peabody Museum is located at 170 Whitney Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut (~3 blocks north of the New Haven Green). School bussing to (not from) the Peabody Museum is provided for West Haven students attending on specific days, while city bus passes are provided for New Haven Public School students. A special “thank you” to New Haven and West Haven Public Schools for providing this benefit.
Can I earn school credit for being in the EVOLUTIONS After School Program?
- Yes! All students have the option of receiving academic credit for participating in EVO. In addition, students will have opportunities to earn community service and work hours (e.g. Supervised Occupational Experience hours; Sound School) that are also reported to schools. A special “thank you” to New Haven and West Haven Public Schools for providing this benefit.
Program Contact Information
After School Program Director:
EVO Mailing Address:
EVOLUTIONS After School Program
Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
P.O. Box 208118
New Haven, CT 06520-8118 USA