Peabody Museum of Natural History
170 Whitney Avenue, New Haven
In 1866 the Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale University was founded with a gift from George Peabody for the construction of a museum building and the care and increase of the museum and its collections. The first Yale Peabody Museum (1876–1917) was located at the corner of High and Elm streets in New Haven. The current French Gothic brick and dark brown sandstone building, dedicated in December 1925, was designed by architect Charles Z. Klauder. Its two-story Great Hall was specifically planned to accommodate OC Marsh’s dinosaurs, such the Apatosaurus (“Brontosaurus”), and also houses The Age of Reptiles, the 110-foot fresco secco mural by Rudolph F. Zallinger (BFA ’42), completed in 1947.
21 Sachem Street, New Haven
Dedicated in 2001, the Class of 1954 Environmental Science Center provides state-of-the-art administrative, classroom, laboratory and collections space for research in the earth and environmental sciences. Designed by David M. Schwarz Architectural Services, the 3-story brick and limestone building is a modern rendition of the Collegiate Gothic style. The ESC connects to both the Yale Peabody Museum and Kline Geology buildings.
Kline Geology Laboratory
210 Whitney Avenue, New Haven
Designed by Philip Johnson in the modernist style of the early 1960s and named for C. Mahlon Kline (PhB, Yale Sheffield Scientific School, 1901), the Kline Geology Laboratory was completed in 1963. Part of a complex of buildings that became known collectively as the Kline Science Center, the Kline Geology Lab was the first building of this complex and is constructed of concrete, brick and sandstone. KGL connects to the Yale Peabody Museum and to the Class of 1954 Environmental Science Center.
137–141 Frontage Road, Orange, Connecticut
Yale’s 136-acre West Campus is home to several Yale Peabody Museum research collections that support faculty, students and visiting scholars studying biodiversity, global change and the history of life and civilizations. Located 7 miles (about 11 kilometers) west of downtown New Haven, the 20 buildings of the West Campus property, acquired in 2007, straddle the city of West Haven and the town of Orange. The Yale Peabody Museum is among the campus departments participating in Yale’s vision to create a collections campus to conserve and digitize archives, art, library and natural history holdings, in support of the University’s academic programs. In addition, the Yale Peabody Museum Community Education Center at West Campus offers year-round K–12 science and natural history programs, aligned with current Connecticut science curriculum standards, that complement the Museum’s educational programs in New Haven.
Among Yale University’s properties are natural lands administered by the Yale Peabody Museum that are open to faculty, affiliated scientists and students for short-term and long-term biological and geological research in environmentally protected areas in and adjacent to Long Island Sound. For information on access and use please contact Richard Boardman.
Yale Coastal Field Station
276 Old Quarry Road, Guilford, Connecticut
This headquarters of the Yale Peabody Museum Natural Areas occupies a 1.75-acre site on a deep water cove on Long Island in Guilford, Connecticut, about 12 miles (about 19 kilometers) east of New Haven. The biological field station includes the Beattie House, outbuildings and other facilities.
Old Quarry Road, Guilford, Connecticut
Thimble Islands, Branford, Connecticut
Habitats on this 17-acre uninhabited island in Long Island Sound include a mix of coastal and early successional vegetation, with wide rocky intertidal zones. There is a house on the property, but the island is almost completely wooded with small stands of beech, pine and cedar trees among mixed scrub and hardwoods. Horse Island is among Connecticut’s Thimble Islands, 1.5 miles (2.5 kilometers) offshore from Stony Creek in Branford, Connecticut.
Branford and Guilford, Connecticut
This unique property, one of the few natural forest areas left in the state, consists of about 41 acres of marsh and coastal edge forest in the southeast corner of Branford, Connecticut (with a small portion in Guilford). The gift of Professor Frederic M. Richards, this property’s research forest, on an isolated headland adjoining salt marshes and open in part to Long Island Sound, is a mature mixed hardwood forest dominated by oaks, hickories and sugar maple with a mid canopy of hop hornbeam. The immediate edge along the marsh has a mix of white oak, post oak, scattered pitch pines and a few red cedars.