Collections Blog

View all blog posts

I was looking at the female Bison's foreleg and looking at the painted Bison in the background. The taxidermied foreleg is bare of the long dark fur that the male has and that ALL the other painted...

Posted on: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 - 6:54pm

This diorama has more to be done than I thought. Once inside the diorama, I found some unusual additions to the foreground. They looked like small, wadded-up pieces of brown paper with orange paint...

Posted on: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 - 2:31pm

I spent the last couple of days getting dyes into a solution of alcohol to be ready to airbrush new color onto the Bison mounts. I will use the Burke Museum skins as color reference as well as the...

Posted on: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 7:55pm

I don't know what I was thinking, but the felting and furring over cracks took only a short amount of time. I estimated it would take three weeks and it only took a couple of days. The bison are now...

Posted on: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 7:49pm

Repairs to the cracks have now been wrapped up on the Female and juvenile Bison mounts. The cracks have been bridged with spun-bond polyester fabric, glued to each side of the crack with BEVA gel...

Posted on: Monday, May 21, 2018 - 3:27pm

There has been lots happening today. Collin is recoloring the prairie dogs. We went up to our bird and mammal skin collections and checked out a Black-tailed Prairie Dog skin and a Lark Sparrow study...

Posted on: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 8:04pm

Patrick Sweeney called and told me he had made an identification of the grasses from the diorama. The label to the diorama says that the grasses are “Buffalo grass” and “grama grass”.

Posted on: Friday, May 11, 2018 - 2:34pm

Before I write about the Bison, I want to pick up a thread from the last blog post of being unsure what to do with the grasses. I think it is clear that I can't re-install the old, brittle grass and...

Posted on: Wednesday, May 9, 2018 - 1:35pm

So after all the preparation, consulting, purchasing of supplies, erecting of the barrier wall with picture window, the glass of the diorama was removed. The first thing done was to remove the male...

Posted on: Sunday, May 6, 2018 - 6:32pm