Beverly Waugh Kunkel (b. 1882, d. 1969) studied with A.E. Verrill,
receiving a bachelor’s degree in 1901 and his Ph.D. in 1905. Based on
his publication record, Kunkel’s academic interests were eclectic, but
he is best known for The Amphipoda of Bermuda, a monograph
published in 1910 by the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. This
publication, although generally considered a cursory review of Bermuda
amphipods, remains the only significant publication of its kind
covering this crustacean group.
Kunkel left Yale and ultimately took a teaching position at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania, where he was chair of the Biology Department until 1952. As a tribute to his contributions to education, Lafayette College dedicated a new building for the biological sciences, Beverly Waugh Kunkel Hall, in 1969.